The U.S. Government’s interagency Combatting Terrorism Tactical Support Office (CTTSO) has posted its new Draft Broad Agency Announcement (BAA).
CTTSO identifies and develops capabilities to combat terrorism and irregular adversaries and to deliver these capabilities to DoD components and interagency partners through rapid research and development, advanced studies and technical innovation, and provision of support to U.S. military operations.
The draft solicitation reflects CTTSO’s initial determination regarding where there are unmet capability requirements across the interagency membership of the organization, which include the Military Services, Intelligence Agencies, and other Federal Departments including the Department of Homeland Security.
Dozens of notional CTTSO project solicitations — in draft form for industry consultation and refinement until January 2019 — range from the mundane (improved helmets and hazmat boots) to the exotic (advanced armor protection, virtual reality aircraft trainers and blockchain) and include the following:
- R4340 Ratline – Develop, test, and operationalize a capability to model elicit pathways of travel which leverages topographic, geographic and cultural analytics to predict probable pathways of movement and smuggling (e.g., CBRNE, narcotics, weapons, human trafficking).
- R4343 Electronic Warfare Support Tool (EWST) – Design and develop an Electronic Warfare Support Tool (EWST) by modifying an existing platform capable of detecting, locating, recording, and analyzing sources of radiated electromagnetic energy for autonomous RF signal collection management.
- R4315 Open Architecture Handheld Raman Spectrometer Kit – Develop a cost efficient handheld Raman spectrometer for identification of threat materials using COTS hardware and open-source software capable of importing a U.S. Government developed Raman library.
- R4316 Chemical/Biological Containment System – Develop a packaging system for rapidly containing and safely transporting corrosive chemical warfare agents, biological warfare agents, explosive samples, and other substances harmful to human health to include chemical filled military munitions.
- R4317 Tactical HazMat Boots – Develop a next-generation HazMat Boot that provides NFPA 1994 protection, and provides a more comfortable, functional, and cost-effective solution than available certified products. The HazMat Boot’s design must demonstrate commercialization capability in a cost-effective way, which would commence after the completion of the project.
- R4318 Canine Respiratory Protection – Develop a respiratory protective device designed for canines that can fit the general working dog population. The respiratory protective device shall provide nasal, oral, and ocular protection from chemical warfare agents, toxic industrial chemicals, and emerging threats.
- R4387 Color Night Vision for EOD Operations – Develop a digital night vision system capable of producing full color images of items, reflective of their actual coloring. The system shall be designed to be wearable as a standalone system with a head harness, and helmet mountable using current military mounting hardware.
- R4390 Mapping Robot for Complex Urban Environments – Develop a small, wireless, ground robot with the ability to autonomously map the interior of a structure. The system should use a combination of imaging systems to create a 3D map of the scanned area.
- R4391 Firing System for Underwater ROVs – Develop an underwater firing system that is ROV platform agnostic and can be easily removed and replaced by the ROV operator.
- R4322 Optimizing Recovery of DNA and Latent Fingerprints from Adhesive Tape – Develop chemical procedures and techniques to forensically optimize the collection of latent prints and DNA from the adhesive side of tape and to create a workflow that technically exploits this type of evidence while adhering to laboratory standards.
- R4324 Battlefield Inorganic Material Elemental Analysis Capability – Develop, produce, and deliver a battlefield instrument that can conduct chemical elemental analysis of small samples of material to determine the inorganic elements present and any inorganic threat compounds. Techniques, procedures, and protocols associated with the instrument to conduct efficient, accurate analyses shall also be developed and validated.
- R4326 Long Range Facial Identification System – Develop a secure, deployable and scalable system that captures still and video facial images at distances up to 300 meters and then conducts facial identification and comparisons.
- R4331 Image Super Resolution – Develop a software super resolution algorithm to enhance image clarity. The algorithm shall help with the interpretation and comparison of low-resolution images by increasing image resolution and adding useful pixel information to increase the usefulness of images.
- R4397 Blockchain Risks and Opportunities to the U.S. – CTTSO seeks proposals for the research and evaluation of the risks and opportunities inherent in the encrypted ledger (blockchain) technologies to the United States and partner countries.
- R4270 High Fracture Toughness Ceramic – Develop techniques to enhance the fracture toughness of ceramic materials that have been or may be used in armor applications.
- R4273 Advanced Armor Material – Leverage the most recent developments and advancements in armor material technology to develop novel armor materials possessing increased performance and reduced weight.
- R4345 Multi-threat Helmet – Develop a multi-threat, lightweight, modular head protection system that allows law enforcement officers to perform regular duties safely while being prepared for any potential increase in threat for the duration of an event.
- R4376 Mobility Situational Awareness – Develop a 360-degree real time sensor system for vehicles that features anomaly detection through artificial intelligence (AI).
- R4372 Relocatable Towers – This effort shall develop a relocatable tower system with additional mast height and updated surveillance and communications technologies capable of transmitting real time imagery and geolocations between Command and Control sites and field operators.
- R4374 Personnel and Material SubT Transporters – There is an operational requirement for a motorized personnel transporter and a non- motorized material transporter to move personnel or materials through confined spaces over various surfaces (e.g., sand, mud, cement, rock).
- R4277 Window Breaching Capability – Tactical operators are seeking the development of a means, capability, or mechanism to rapidly defeat all types of residential, commercial, or industrial glass encountered during operations with minimal noise signature ensuring maximum safety for all immediate personnel.
- R4282 Affordable Small Unmanned Aerial System (sUAS) – Tactical operators seek the development of a lightweight, easy to employ, and low-cost sUAS that complies with current and future DoD policy regarding the employment of sUAS for training and combat operations.
- R4287 Subterranean and Complex Urban Terrain (SCUT) Electronic Warfare Capabilities – Tactical operators are seeking electronic warfare (EW) equipment that, when paired with an Android smartphone or tablet, will allow operators to conduct EW in SCUT environments.
- R4348 AC-130J Virtual Reality Combat Mission Trainer – Develop an AC-130J virtual reality (VR) combat mission trainer (VR-CMT) to enable operational crews to engage in mission tasks within a simulated environment.
Industry can register for CTTSO’s 6 December industry day sessions here — https://events.cttso.gov/2018IndustryDay/Contact/Register — through 29 November.