10 March 2019
More than a month late based on the Federal Government shutdowns, Tuesday, 12 March will see the Trump Administration release the broad outlines of its Fiscal Year 2020 (FY20) budget request to the Congress. (Programmatic details will come on 18 March.)
There are widespread reports that the request for the Department of Defense will total some $750 billion, including $545 billion in the base budget, a $164 billion in Overseas Contingency Operations (war supplemental) funding, and, as a recent addition, $9 billion in “emergency funding” that could bridge the gap in Military Construction accounts if President Trumps taps these accounts to fund the southern border wall as expected.
The whooping $164 billion OCO budget request is a naked effort by the Trump Administration to avoid mandated budget caps, as the OCO funding is emergency in nature and not subject to the caps.
Defense One’s Marcus Weisgerber does a great job summarizing what few details have leaked about regarding the defense budget request here.
As the overall FY20 President’s Budget Request (PRESBUD) slashes non-defense (social) programs and the Democrats are running the House, the President’s request has already been deemed “dead on arrival” by many observers and its funding priorities and levels will certainly see change during House consideration in Authorization and Appropriations as well as Budget Committee hearings that commence immediately in both the House and Senate.
For the Department of Defense part of the budget roll-out, Tuesday’s sequential media briefings — which DSJ will cover — will include:
- OSD – Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller) Elaine McCusker and Army Lt. Gen. Anthony R. Ierardi, director, Force Structure, Resources and Assessment, Joint Staff, at 12 noon EDT.
- Army – Under Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy and Army Lt. Gen. Thomas Horlander, military deputy for budget to the assistant secretary of the Army for financial management and comptroller, will conduct a briefing March 12 at 12:50 p.m. EDT.
- Navy/Marine Corps – Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Budget Rear Adm. Randy B. Crites will conduct a briefing March 12 at 1:40 p.m. EDT.
- Air Force – Air Force Deputy Assistant Secretary for Budget Maj. Gen. John M. Pletcher and Air Force Deputy for Budget Carolyn M. Gleason will conduct a briefing March 12 at 2:30 p.m. EDT.
- MDA – Rear Adm. Jon A. Hill, deputy director, Missile Defense Agency, and Michelle C. Atkinson, acting director of operations, Missile Defense Agency, will conduct a briefing March 12 at 3:20 p.m. EDT.