10 – 11 March 2020
Submissions Due NLT 12 February
The purpose of the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program is to strengthen the role of innovative Small Business Concerns (SBCs) in Federally-funded research or research and development (R/R&D). The Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) program stimulates a partnership of ideas and technologies between innovative SBCs and non-profit Research Institutions. By providing awards to SBCs for cooperative R/R&D efforts with Research Institutions, the SBIR and STTR programs assist the U.S. small business and research communities by supporting the commercialization of innovative technologies. The SBIR/STTR programs employ a phased process:
- Phase I: Phase I involves a solicitation of contract proposals or grant applications to conduct feasibility-related experimental or theoretical R/R&D related to described agency requirements. These requirements, as defined by agency topics contained in a solicitation, may be general or narrow in scope, depending on the needs of the agency. The object of this phase is to determine the scientific and technical merit and feasibility of the proposed effort and the quality of performance of the SBC with a relatively small agency investment before consideration of further Federal support in Phase II.
- Phase II: The object of Phase II is to continue the R/R&D effort from the completed Phase I.
- Direct to Phase II: Department of Defense may issue a Phase II SBIR award to an SBC that did not receive a Phase I SBIR or STTR award for that R/R&D. Direct to Phase II involves a solicitation of contract proposals or grant applications and the SBC’s proposal must demonstrate the scientific and technical merit and feasibility of the ideas that appear to have commercial potential.
SBIR Process Timeline
- 19 December: Topics and Instructions Posted to www.socom.mil/SOF-ATL/Pages/SBIR-BAA-Cycle.aspx
- 19 December – 14 January: Industry may submit questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 14 January: DoD begins accepting proposals and questions can still be submitted via SITIS (DoD Instructions)
- 12 February: Solicitation Closes and Proposals Due
- 28 February: Companies Selected and Invitations Sent for presentation of the PowerPoint portion of their proposal. Those invited will be provided a stipend and/or flat fee of $2,000 to offset travel.
- 10 – 11 March: Invited companies present PowerPoint portion of their proposal and following which, Contract Award selections are made with 5 business days.
- By 6 Months after award: Phase I Complete
- 30 days after Phase I complete: Phase II Proposal Deadline
Special Areas of Interest
PHASE I: SOCOM20-001 Platform Agnostic Data Storage Infrastructure
PHASE I: SOCOM20-003 Multi-FMV Fusion 3D Capability
DIRECT TO PHASE II: SOCOM20-D002 Phase 1 Topic Human Geography 3D Street View
DIRECT TO PHASE II: SOCOM20-D002 SOO Human Geography 3D Street View
How You Can Participate
Review Instructions and Submit Your Solution: NLT 12 February
For questions, please email email@example.com